“Just For The Health Of It” Community Discussions with Douglas Cornman and Simone Babineaux
Episode 85: Talking with Douglas Cornman and Simone Babineaux of Maine Seacoast Mission
August 25, 2023
The following is a conversation that I had with Douglas Cornman, MA, BC-DMT – Director of Island Services and Simone Babineaux, MSN, RN, FNP-C – Sunbeam Nurse.
Since 1905, Maine Seacoast Mission has been helping to grow stronger communities, resilient children, engaged families, and connected older adults. The organization focuses on meeting people where they are. The mission statement of Maine Seacoast Mission reads as follows: Rooted in a history of compassionate service and mutual trust, the Mission seeks to strengthen coastal and island communities by educating youth, supporting families, and promoting good health.
During our discussion we talk about:
1. What is the Maine Seacoast Mission?
2. What is the Sunbeam?
3. Why is this boat and its crew vital to the health of island communities?
4. Is there any charge for the services provided on the Sunbeam?
5. How is telemedicine being used to better serve the needs of those who live off the coast?
6. Tell me about some of the Mission’s other healthcare initiatives.
7. Are you able to share a story that shows the positive impact that the Sunbeam has on the health of island communities?
8. What other initiatives take place on the boat and with program staff?
9. The Sunbeam recently hosted an event on Isle au Haut. Tell my listeners more about that event.
10. How do people reach you with questions or for more information?
11. What is bringing you joy right now?
Maine Seacoast Mission Website: